Wednesday 30 January 2013

Failure or Success

Failure or Success

When dealing with projects you can put a lot of pressure on yourself, this can come from not wanting to fail, not wanting to fall or having to know you are going to have to tie in on the sharp end again.

Its very easy to watch someone and see them fall and think why? Why did you fall off you looked good. Its hard to learn how to just shut it all out and just keep going even if you only get one hold further. If you do keep going and you do fall then at least have succeeded in the mental frame and you went for it. This is how you should look at climbing, not as a big burden sitting on you.

When I climb I will always look at it in this way. If I have a top rope up and I’m projecting I will break a route down into boulder sections, so if I have a 7c route I will climb to the crux and then stop and then look at what I had just done and know how I can get to here easy and efficiently. I would then try the crux and see if I can do it if not then climb the rest. All you need to do is just break it down into a problem solving exercise. If you can’t do the crux this doesn’t matter as you should look at it and say “yep I got there and I have to do is those 4 or 5 moves and I know I can do this route”.

No comments:

Post a Comment